The NYAPRS Cultural Competence committee has launched a new projectcalled ‘Culture Matters in My Life Journey’.
They are inviting people of any race, ethnicity, gender, age,
disability, sexual orientation, or gender expression in recovery from
psychiatric disabilities and/or co-occurring substance use disorders to
share their stories and the impact culture has played in their recovery.
Providers of behavioral health services are also encouraged to share
Suggested topics can include postings on:
* How diversity has influenced your recovery
* Challenges to receiving culturally appropriate care
* The role spirituality has played in your recovery
* Experiences engaging and navigating the behavioral health
system in the United States in comparison to your country of origin.
* Challenges to providing cross cultural services.
Please post your input at the Committee’s Culture Matters web page at
To learn more about the committee please contact Teena Brooks at
teenab at nyaprs.org.
Our teleconferences are held on the third Tuesday of the month at Noon.
Our next teleconference will be held on July 17th.